photo PARTIESBUTTONFINAL_zpsead861ad.jpg  photo CHICAGOBUTTONFINAL_zpsdf157c83.jpg  photo ELSEWHEREBUTTONFINAL_zps10ef7bbb.jpg

Mar 12, 2013

Too Many Glasses, Not Enough Eyes

I remember the day I had a total preteen breakdown in the car with my dad, begging him to let me start wearing contacts so I could leave my glasses behind--tiny silver John Lennon-inspired frames, a terrible choice for everyone except John Lennon--and have a shot at feeling pretty in junior high. We were sitting in the car with the windows open, eating Whitey's Ice Cream (chocolate sodas with Almond Joy ice cream for both of us, I'm pretty sure), and my freak-out intensified every time I got a glimpse of myself in the side or rearview mirrors. I couldn't possibly wear glasses anymore. Everything would change if I got rid of them (and started shopping at Abercrombie, and started wearing makeup, and grew boobs [the last of which I'm still waiting on, Universe], and, and, and...).  Switching to contacts was at least a start.

 I'm back to glasses full-time these days, more to ward off headaches than for fashion's sake, and now that we've resigned ourselves to each other -- they've become something of a trademark at this point, I suppose -- I can't stop collecting them.


Current Specs

Current Specs by amelioratory

I've been wasting even more of my life online-window-shopping for glasses than usual lately, and I'm hell-bent on picking up another pair or two before some healthcare funds expire. Here's what's caught my eye so far. 

The Eyefly Blackburn Cove in Olive Gradient (12 o'clock on the 15-hour clock below) was my favorite until my mother pointed out it gave me Groucho Marx eyebrows, so who knows what will happen. 


Spectacle speculation

Spectacle speculation by amelioratory featuring blue eyeglasses

Follow the link to the Polyvore set, above, for direct links to each pair. 

All of the glasses pictured are from Warby Parker, Bonlook, Eyefly, and Tortoise and Blonde. 


The frames are these, if you imagine they're set to a 15-hour clock: Bonlook Honeybadger in Bondi Blue, Bonlook Smoking Hot in grey, Bonlook Smoking Hot in caramel, Tortoise and Blonde Delancey in Brown Sugar, Tortoise and Blonde Delancey in Matte Rosewood, Eyefly Calle de Serrano in Matte Topaz, Warby Parker Mallory in Gimlet Tortoise, Bonlook Cavalier in Brown, Warby Parker Tenley in Burgundy Fade, Bonlook Jungle Chic in Walnut, Bonlook Urban Dandy in Fern, Eyefly Blackburn Cove in Olive Gradient, Warby Parker Clyde in Blue Marblewood, and Bonlook Bonnie and Clyde in Mystic Blue.





In the meantime, I can rest assured that even if I shoot my eye out, I'll have three more pairs of glasses to help me beat Black Bart, and for that -- as well as the internet's wealth of handsome, inexpensive glasses -- I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment