photo PARTIESBUTTONFINAL_zpsead861ad.jpg  photo CHICAGOBUTTONFINAL_zpsdf157c83.jpg  photo ELSEWHEREBUTTONFINAL_zps10ef7bbb.jpg

Feb 13, 2013

A Quick and Dirty Guide to Quick and Dirty Valentines



Valentine's Day might be my very favorite holiday, as it's an excuse to make toasts (whether to good or bad fortune), eat snacks, and surround oneself with crafts.

I used to surround myself with crafts a little too intensely, as you can see from these Valentines I made my freshman year of college:




I don't have time to cut out individual letters anymore, but I still make time to show my friends (28 of them this year) how much I love them with these simple materials:
* Construction paper
* Rubber cement
* Scissors
* Magazine clippings
* A white-out pen (a finer point than a white paint pen, I've found)
* My very punniest, dirtiest attitude

I go through magazines of every sort, from fashion rags to backlogs of Martha Stewart Living, and assess every photograph to see if there's a pun in there. Ads are usually the best source.  Once it's time to make the valentines themselves, I follow this simple rule: the more off-color the valentine, the girlier and fluffier it must appear.  Here are some examples from this year, more or less in order from most innocent to most bawdy*:













"I want 0 degrees of separation between us, Valentine!" 

Yeah, this happened. And it's for a girl.


* The bawdiest of all has yet to be made: A picture of a chicken next to a basket of eggs (just imagine that, yes?). Also not pictured: a valentine for a poet friend that says "take your pantoums off." 



It's really that easy. If you're reading this in a blind Valentine panic, just open your nearest periodical and go to town.


Tomorrow night, my boyfriend and I will hit up the Art Institute and a bar (TBD) for a festive cocktail before heading home to cook dinner ourselves. (He's in charge of the pork chops, and I'm in charge of the pear galette.) Wherever Valentine's Day leads you -- this dance party at Logan Square Auditorium, perhaps? -- I hope you find something to love about this February in Chicago.


No comments:

Post a Comment