photo PARTIESBUTTONFINAL_zpsead861ad.jpg  photo CHICAGOBUTTONFINAL_zpsdf157c83.jpg  photo ELSEWHEREBUTTONFINAL_zps10ef7bbb.jpg

Mar 20, 2013

Two years in Chicago






Chicago: where I learned that my dream job is a horse cop. A horse cop who never has to get off her horse to fight extra-violent crimes, that is. 



I moved to Chicago two years ago today, when a job plucked me from the faintly beer-scented bosom of the post-graduate refuge I built at Beloit. During my first few months, I defensively looked over my shoulder every ten feet, expected to meet my mate during some romantic rush hour while squeezed into a train car, got dick-flashed by a man on a tiny bicycle on my way to the farmer's market, and learned not to bolt upright in bed at every slamming door, barking dog, or passing siren.  

When I first moved here, I was singularly obsessed with the trappings of adulthood. I'd just spent my senior year thinking about it endlessly as I wrote my senior creative writing honors project -- about weddings, about trusting yourself enough to decide you're ready for the Significant Relationship you've found, about housewares and Kitchen Aid mixers and the day you stop dropping abbreviations like "totes" into things that you really say in real life. While I don't have my copy on me, I'm pretty sure at one point I imagined that "someday, we'll wake up and realize we know how to take care of ourselves. Somewhere along the way, without noticing it, we'll have learned what it takes to be the grown-ups we never imagined."  I guess I just had to get dick-flashed first. 

While I'm nowhere near having my act completely together, these past two years have brought me a life as a grown-ass woman -- it's still one of my favorite terms -- and I wake up without any fear of it. Most days, it doesn't even surprise me. While it's no "20Reasons Why I Do Not Wish to Leave Chicago: An Incomplete, Random List," when I look back on my time here, these are the things I see first.



I've written and edited with stunners like these. 




The boys I started work with, celebrating our first anniversary




I've spotted Rahm, and picnicked the hell out of Millennium Park


Miss you, Maryn!




I started volunteering here.






I fell in love with VFW Post 7975 and its inimitable karaoke, was charmed by Gody at The Brauhaus, saw Jens Lekman for the third and fourth times, saw David Byrne in person three times (discussion panel at the Music Box, on his bicycle at Michigan and Randolph!, and in Love This Giant), and sang along to "Trapped in the Closet" on the big screen 










I joined a band whose mere rehearsals are a tonic for the soul 






I taught my folks how to ride the CTA





I've made pilgrimages to Longman & Eagle and Lula Cafe, tried my first Chicago dog before seeing Bruce Springsteen at Wrigley Field, and had a hard-boiled egg as a chaser at Richard's











I'm always dreaming of Margie's Candies, and trips to the Tastee Freeze. I'm also waiting for Jill's next incredible dinner party, continuously delighted that Bang Bang Pie Shop gets the accolades it deserves, waiting for my next trip to Doughnut Vault, and crowing over my victory at the Hideout's cake walk.



at Jill's Hunger Games dinner party:
"Haymitch's White Liquor, by Ripper" 








I completed iO's improv training program, and baked a Del Close cake to celebrate







I've thrown theme parties

"You've Got Mail"


Anne of Green Gables




I went to the turtle races, and MET IRA GLASS

                         







I convinced this guy to be my best friend, before I convinced him to make out with me




and, on a good day, I wake up to this face



or these faces.





TIF's and school districts and crime and potholes and Wrigleyville and letting a Hard Rock Hotel occupy the Carbon and Carbide building aside, you're a hell of a place, Chicago. See you next year. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love, love, looooove this post, Amelia. Chicago is a better place because you're in it!

    ReplyDelete