photo PARTIESBUTTONFINAL_zpsead861ad.jpg  photo CHICAGOBUTTONFINAL_zpsdf157c83.jpg  photo ELSEWHEREBUTTONFINAL_zps10ef7bbb.jpg

Aug 15, 2013

Wisconsin State Fair, Part II: Fair Food



First things first: there is a hole inside of my heart that can only be filled by a New Glarus Spotted Cow and a bratwurst with sauerkraut and beer mustard. This hole is shaped like the state of Wisconsin. After locking this snack down within our first hour at the fair, I was ready to try some other treats.




Other treats, like flavored milk. 



We managed to get at least one cup of every flavor. Cherry vanilla was my favorite, followed by root beer. 



Soon after, we moved on to the obligatory cream puffs. I respect and appreciate the Wisconsin State Fair's cream puffs. I love their mystique, and I love their eerily efficient assembly line construction. That said, I can't handle a whole puff myself -- I think I made it through a quarter before tapping out -- and find the puff itself a little eggy. Am I alone? Am I a lout?


Shelby adopted an air of scientific curiosity, while Andy immediately adopted a cream puff mustache, as my friend Anna recommended in her guide to the fair.



 I already regret not buying a cream puff ornament.




We introduced Shelby to her first deep-fried cheese curd, and before we left that night, we all had our first deep-fried green beans.



There were also a couple of unexpected food cameos: this stuffed, singing bacon doll (?), and the super-hip pickle on a stick that Mike found.




The gang also insisted we try a deep-fried Snickers bar.


The fellas found this Snickers quite alluring. Zack found it hot in another way. A literal way. 



While the deep-fried Snickers could have been a little less bready, we couldn't have been more charmed by our day of fair snacks. Miss you already, Wisconsin! 




Stay tuned for Part III of my Wisconsin State Fair recap (prize-winning rabbits and chickens!), or take a look at the racing animals of Part I

No comments:

Post a Comment